Wednesday

5 Year Anniversary Trip

Ryan and I just celebrated our 5 year anniversary on May 21st. I decided to surprise Ryan with a short little get-a-way vacation to Columbia, SC. Grandma and Grandpa were kind enough to watch Aiden for us.
We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Columbia, only a block away from the state capitol. It was a really neat older hotel. Our hotel room was awesome with dark wood floors and it was on a corner so we had lots of windows. Friday night we ate at Ruth'sChris Steak house and probably ate 3,000 calories each the food was so YUMMY! We even got a free dessert because it was our anniversary.
Saturday morning we went golfing at a really old golf course. I know for sure it was there in the 1970's because I saw an old drawing of it with that date but I'm pretty sure it has been around even longer than that.... maybe 1700's?? :) j/k Seriously though, Ryan and I couldn't stop laughing the entire time we played golf on this course. I have never seen a golf course in such rough, awful, funny shape.
1st of all.... does this look right to you? This was the first path we took in the golf cart thinking it led to our 1st hole. Ooops. A guy came chasing us down yelling that we had taken the wrong path and he had to lead us over to some grass that he claimed to be the cart path. hmmmm

Here is part of the cart path. This was very common. Sand dunes and broken pavement.

2nd... there are no words to describe their amazing signage for numbering the holes. A trash can with a spray painted 14 on it for the sign for hole #14?? Perfect. Who needs anything more?


3rd... the club house was just amazing. They were kind enough to make a walking path through the garbage so you could actually access the counter and the bathrooms. And did I mention that it smelled like cat pee and there was a mangy old dog wondering around?


4th... is the man who answers the phone supposed to be able to hear the person speaking on the other line? And then once you get to the club house is he supposed to be able to understand what you are saying to him?
This was actually the part I think I laughed the hardest over. 2 weeks before our trip I tried to book a tee time. When I called a REALLY old sounding man answered the phone and couldn't understand what I was saying. I just hung up and decided I would call another day to catch someone else working there who could understand me. I called a week later and unfortunately got the same old man. I decided to try and book a tee time anyway which took about 15 minutes of me yelling the same things over and over again on the phone. So we get to the clubhouse to play golf and yip... it is the old man working the counter. We tell him we have a tee time and he couldn't hear us. We literally had to yell at him for him to hear. We finally worked out with him what our last name was and he looked in his book. Then he looked at us and said sorry you don't have a tee time, was it me you booked with? I said yes and he said "No you didn't, I would have remembered!!!" I laughed so hard that this little 99 year old man was claiming he would have remembered if I had spoken to him about a tee time!
(The little old man and his faithful old mangy dog in the dirty, gross club house.)
The bathroom was almost as bad as the rest of the club house and it only had 1 stall which had this sign on it. I laughed so hard I had to take a picture. Get it? ONE stall and the sign says "THIS one works now!!"?? What would have been my other option??!!!
This was right next to the club house and hole #1. What a pretty sight... broken down lawn mowers and golf carts. Also, I didn't get a picture but there were 2 guys creating a burn pile off of one of the holes and yip, they were smoking a joint. Picture perfect, too bad I missed the shot.
Can you see the amazing quality of the grass in the pics below? Who mowed the grass??? There would be huge patches on the green or in the tee box that it looked like somebody just decided not to mow.
Also, isn't there supposed to be grass on the green and in the tee boxes?? Hmmm.... I guess you can count little patches of grass here and there and some weeds as good enough.

Anyway that was our amazing golfing adventure. After we had such a good laugh we headed over to the temple to meet up with our ward. We did some temple work to finish off a really fun trip.
After the temple we headed back home to Georgia to pick up our little peanut in time for his bedtime. It felt like a really long ride back for me probably because I was already missing my little baby and couldn't wait to see him again! We really did have a blast on our trip and I was really sad it had to end but I am definitely looking forward to our next get-a-way when ever that may be! I love you my wonderful hubby and thanks for 5 amazing years!!!

5 comments:

Kipn n' Sarah said...

WOW sounds like quite the adventure. As I went down the pictures of the golf course experience I began to think this was a big joke. But it was not I suppose. WOW!!! Sounds like quite the experience! Happy Anniversary!!! Glad you took all those pictures so you can always remember this time together :) HA!!

Joy said...

That's wut you git fer goin' to SC!!! LOL what an exciting trip! You guys are so cute. I wonder if anyone else has gone to that golf course this year. Or this decade.

The Cersey Family said...

That is so funny! That was one classy anniversary golfing experience! Why haven't you told me about this? Justin and I were cracking up as we read this. Good times.

Chelsey said...

Happy Anniversary! Our 5 year anniversary is in August. So crazy! I can't believe how fast time goes by.

nicole said...

I was laughing out loud at this whole post. The best picture is of the old guy watching TV with his dog. Classic.