

My little guy turned 18 months in May. I took him in for his check-up appointment with the pediatrician and ended up leaving the office feeling like the worst mom. Before I get into that story though, here are his stats:
Weight: 22 lbs 10 ounces (10th%)
Height: (don't remember inches) 50th%
Head: 95th%
Are we shocked that his head is still so big... no. My poor little guy is just really top heavy. :)
Okay, the rest of the story...
Because it was his 18 month check-up they had me fill out a 3 page questionnaire about things he can currently do. While I was filling it out I felt like my little Aiden was probably right on track for his age so I felt proud turning it in. Then the doctor started asking questions and it all went down hill from there...
Dr) How many words can Aiden say? Me) Um... I don't know, maybe 10?
Dr) Oh my that is bad. He should say at least 20, but 30-50 is more normal. Tell me every word you can think of that he can say and I will write it down and hope we get at least 20.
So I sat there with the doctor for who knows how long searching my brain for every little word I can remember that Aiden says. I got to 17. Fortunately, the doctor said that was okay because there were probably a couple I was forgetting. Phew, that dilemma over.
But then he asked me....
Dr) Does he know his ABC's? Me Thinking) What the freak???!!! My child is supposed to know the ABC's??? Me saying out loud) No. Dr) Can he even say A-B-C? Me) No.
Dr) Hmmmm.... well can he at least count? Me Thinking) I'm doomed. I am the worst mother. My child can't count, my child doesn't know his ABCs and he only knows 17 words.
By this point I am feeling truly awful and thinking that I have doomed my child to to be at the bottom of his class. But then the doctor asked me if Aiden could throw a ball overhand. FINALLY, a question I could say YES to!!!!! I was so happy that there was one question that I could answer in the affirmative (even if Aiden's throw is far from perfect- we are working on it).
So I leave the doctor's office still feeling miserable because I have failed Aiden on so many levels. I call my sister, Cami, who is the mother of 4 children... all boys, to tell her about my woes. She started laughing when I told her about the check-up questions and tells me that those were the exact same questions she was asked at her child's 3 YEAR OLD check-up she had earlier that month. Huh?? She then pulled out her "What to expect the toddler years" book and read from it what to expect at 18 months. THANKFULLY, Aiden was doing everything he was supposed to according to the book. I felt so much better that my little Aiden was indeed right on track. She then read to me the part of what to expect for a 3 year old and yes, it was everything the doctor had asked me.
So, who knows... was the doctor reading the wrong checklist or was he truly expecting my child to be a child genius and do things a 3 year old can?? I will just assume it is the latter and pretend it is because he thinks Aiden is just sooooo smart and ahead of his age because of my child's huge noggin. :)
Thursday
ABC's
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
It seems like the doctors are always trying to freak us out about something. At least he cam be a baller and get through college that way if it isn't on academics!:) I didn't realize he was that young. You mentioned starting potty training soon and I would so not rush it. Yes it is nice to not buy diapers but you are taking your kid to the bathroom every five seconds and it is a long process of complete undressing and re-dressing. I think Noah caught on so quick too because he was older...just a few thoughts! Your little one is too cute!
Funny story! I'm glad that there is no need to worry!
Aiden is just so adorable. I want to play with him so bad!!!!!!!! I am glad you blogged this story, it is a great one for the books, esp. when he is all grown up, and a rocket scientist! :) That doctor of yours is just a little off his rocker.... I still chuckle at the fact that he was asking you those kind of questions, I have no idea where his brain was that day. Must have been a rough week.
It seems there is always something for a mom to feel guilty or worry about...don't need any added, unnecessary stuff thrown in there!!
These pictures are VERY cute :-) I loved the time I got to spend with Aiden last weekend. I guess I should feel guilty about the bump on his head and letting him swim in the doggie pool huh :-) Hey...you forgot to add in all the words to Twinkle little star...cause he can sing that! Oh..and he is definately advanced on his cell phone skills :-) Love ya!
Love the pics of Aiden! They are great!
Who took these pics? I LOVE them! And even if Aiden does end up in the "slow" class, at least he'll have Mags there with him. Cause since you told me this story, I've been working on her with her numbers, and there has been zero progress :)
Brindi, Aiden was singing his ABC's and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star when he was here on Friday, so either your efforts are paying off or he's been keeping you in the dark. He did get rather embarrassed when I started singing with him. Maybe he is just a closet genius.
Post a Comment