We decided to do a last minute camping trip with the Rusch clan last month. We mentioned going up to a Lake Hartwell campground but then decided with all the kiddos it might be better to stick closer to home. Instead we stayed on Emily's parents property (they have I think around 150 acres??) in Monroe. We did tinfoil dinners that night and roasted marshmallows and also had a cherry/blueberry chocolate cobbler. yum.
Emily and Jon decided to call it a night around 10pm so they could try to get their oldest boy to go to sleep in his own little tent. Aiden was already asleep so Ryan and I decided we might as well go to bed too. How I wish we could have slept!! Jack took a couple hours to fall asleep (he was singing songs to his daddy) and then right after he fell asleep Aiden woke up and started crying. I finally got Aiden out of his pack and play and snuggled him in my sleeping bag with me but he wouldn't fall asleep. After 3 hours of this I finally put him back in his crib around 6am and then Jack was awake at 7am. Yip, I got a grand total of 1 hour of sleep. It was awesome. We have sworn off camping with kiddos until they are at least 5 years old.
This is how Aiden and Jack interacted. Aiden would have an item, Jack would come take it away and stare as Aiden melted down and started crying and then Jack would give him the item back. Aiden would then stop crying. I think it fascinated Jack to see the response he got out of Aiden.
That morning we had a yummy breakfast of sausage, bacon, eggs and fruit. Then we broke down camp and headed out to Hard Labor Creek to hike a little 1 mile trail. Aiden pretty much walked most of the way on his own. Afterward we ate a little picnic lunch and then headed home to let Aiden get a good nap since he only slept for 5 hours that night. When we finally made it home Aiden took a 4 hour nap he was so exhausted poor baby. Well, now the Horsleys have learned that if we want to go camping we leave the little one behind!
Hiking at Hard Labor Creek.

3 comments:
Thanks so much for doing this post. Kip and I have recently talked about doing a family camp out. I will just have this be one of those lessons in life someone else has learned for me. Note taken! Thanks!
Sorry about the lack of sleep but it looks like you guys still managed to have fun. Love all the pictures!
OH my goodness! No sleep is just awful!!! ButI am so glad you posted this because it comforts me. :) People talk about going camping all the time, and it sounds really fun, but we haven't done it with the kids yet because I am scared of getting NO sleep and I don't think my kids will sleep at all! So it makes me feel better that we don't go camping. Plus I think that a lot of people who talk about "camping" mean that they have a nice RV that they take along. That would make a difference!
I didn't realize that Jack's singing kept ya'll up too!!! SO SORRY! Hey but the cobbler and marshmellows made it all worth while right? :) We had a blast! Ya'll are the best!
Post a Comment