Today I decided to take Aiden out to the backyard to play and get some time in the sun. After about ten minutes I see this LARGE insect crawling on my deck. At first I think it is a cockroach which unfortunately is fairly common to see in Georgia. Then as I noticed Nikita was right by it and it wasn't running for cover AND it was out in the bright sunlight made me think this was something different. Aiden and I head over to investigate and we find the insect in this picture (which does not do it justice in showing how big it is). I freaked out! I was thinking in my head that I just saw one of those human baby eating ants I have heard stories about. I run Aiden inside and then come out with the 1st thing I grabbed, which I won't tell you and end up soaking the CREATURE with it. I am too much of a chicken to actually step on something so large, just the thought of hearing that crunch makes me want to vomit. I am hoping that the stuff I sprayed it with will kill it. I then come inside and research what this huge MONSTROSITY is and find that it is a Velvet Ant or more commonly known as a Cow Killer Ant. WHAT??!!! As I read on I find that they don't literally kill cows but that their sting is so powerfully painful that it is said that it COULD kill a cow. This is the bug I have in MY backyard??!! I am now officially thinking it is time to fire our current pest control company and search for a new one! Aiden is also NOT going to be playing in our backyard when he is old enough to walk around unless I am RIGHT by his side. Maybe one day I will get over this and calm down again.... until then, I am sorry Aiden.

8 comments:
Nasty! And I thought mosquitos were bad!
Gross! How big was is, exactly? A couple of inches????
I've seen tons of those things and never thought they could hurt you!!! YIKES!!! And that picture is so gross!!!! You're very brave and I'm so impressed you killed it all by yourself!
Oh my crap. I got the willies just looking at that picture. I can't believe they are in your backyard. I thought I had it bad killing little spiders in my house, but apparently there are cow killers out there that my poor Brindi has to deal with. Ugh.
That is incredible and scary! So how big was this sucker? Give an example...and I def want to know what you sprayed it with. Windex??
Ok that would FREAK ME OUT!!! It looks like a Bee/Ant to me, that is super duper crazy! Yeah get a new pest control company, seriously, that creeps me out!
That is disgusting! How big is this bug? (inches?)
WHAT THE HECK!!!
Post a Comment